Are flash cards and workbooks bringing your child to tears? Try this curriculum/ game that children literally beg to play:
Ring Around The Phonics is an educational game used to teach children English, Spanish, French, other languages Phonics, reading, spelling, comprehension listening skills...language arts.
How To Teach Reading
Learn Or Teach Spanish
As a home school workshop leader, I am often asked questions about how to get started. This page is especially for newbies, and for the experienced home educators looking to improve their skills. Most parents care very deeply about their children (more so than the Department of Education). Studies show that home educated children outperform their public schooled
counterparts even if the parent holds no degrees.
So, I tell parents that home school is not the classroom, and that when you home school, the whole world is your classroom. That is important, because with a little information, one does not have to spend tons of money to do a good job. Following is some information that will help you
1. The very first step is to know your state laws. State Home School Associations are usually most helpful in this matter. Find Your Home School State Association
2. Knowing your child's learning style will help you save money on curriculum that does not work with your child. Workbooks work just fine with some children (45% of the population), but do more harm than good for the rest of the children.
3. Physically involving the child in the learning process (real life experiences, and games) reaches all the personalities...children learn faster, retain more, and retain their love for learning for a life time. The following story is a funny, informative and inspirational story a certified teacher experienced in her journey to becoming a home educator. It reveals a lot about what works, and what doesn't when teaching children. My journey from Public School Teacher to Homeschooling Mom
4. What Public schools require of children is not necessarily the measure of what your child needs to learn... Each child is unique. But knowing Grade Level Requirements For Public Schooled Children is sometimes comforting.
5. There are some good free computer games on line that physically involve the children in the learning process. But they are not good for teaching phonics, because they teach some of the sounds incorrectly making it hard for the children to blend the sounds to form words (it makes phonics pointless, and children revert to sight word recognition). It is important that you teach the child the sounds, so you know they are taught the basics correctly...Free Videos To Hear The Phonic Sounds (for parents....not the child)
6. Here is a link to save you money: How To Write Your Own Lesson Plans . It is easier than you might think.
7. When I do use curriculum, I like ones that are created by home school families, because home school is not the classroom. Ring Around The Phonics (for reading, phonics and Language Arts), and Math U See. These families understand that home school is not the class room...it is better because it adjusts to the child rather than the reverse.
8. If your child has ADHD or another learning disability, you likely will want to read this article. Conditions That can Cause Or Mimic Learning Disabilities. Treat the cause not the symptom.
9. Many home educators look for ways to earn extra income from home. Ring Around the Phonics and Math U See are very effective tutoring tools that can earn you extra income.
10. If you have other questions, please feel free to call me at (904) 317-5330 EST. Your child is our future.
Like this page? Please pay it forward.
Subscribe in a reader